Sunday, December 6, 2009

Meaning of "Lorem Ipsum vim ut utroque mandamus intellegebat, ut eam omittam ancillae sadipscing, per et eius soluta veritus"

Was just editing my blog when i came across the following quote at the bottom of the Blog 'Edit':

"Lorem ipsum vim ut utroque mandamus intellegebat, ut eam omittam ancillae sadipscing, per et eius soluta veritus"

Was quite intrigued and so googled for the same. And the answer is also quite interesting. Well, in the first place, it doesnt actually have any meaning nor is it Latin. It is actually gibberish which is written so that some sort of content can be used for the sake of illustration. It's called "greeking" -- it's filler text that developers, publishers etc use to designate a text paragraph, without actually putting anything specific in the paragraph.

Wikipedia says: In publishing and graphic design, lorem ipsum is the name given to commonly used placeholder text (filler text) to demonstrate the graphic elements of a document or visual presentation, such as font, typography, and layout.

Even though using "lorem ipsum" often arouses curiosity because of its resemblance to classical Latin, it is not intended to have meaning. Where text is visible in a document, people tend to focus on the textual content rather than upon overall presentation, so publishers use lorem ipsum when displaying a typeface or design elements and page layout in order to direct the focus to the publication style and not the meaning of the text.

Very Interesting!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ritesh,
It is all right that you reply whenever you find time. I guessed you were busy as you have about two posts per month on an avg this year…
I just wanted to know if you get a notification when I leave a comment on one of your older posts. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have a clue if you even know that there is a comment somewhere in the blog!

- Sri DJ ('vtu-jrd')(DJ-my initials;friends call me sri/dj, but dj has stuck!)

Robin said...

Hey DJ...i get a notification in my mail whenever someone posts a comment so i am very much aware if there are comments on my blog.

Infact with your kind of thoughts, i think even you should have a blog. It takes a bit of time to build it to a certain extent but it will be interesting to see your thoughts fleshed out on various topics.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Robin said...

Thanks buddy...will try and find more time this year to update the blog more regularly.

Cheers

Anonymous said...

I inclination not approve on it. I assume precise post. Specially the designation attracted me to read the unscathed story.

Robin said...

@ Anon - I did not understand what you were trying to suggest. Please explain what post are you referring to?

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Robin said...

Anon @ 5.36 - Thanks for the comment. Glad i could help. (Disclaimer - I am not responsible for bad grades :P)

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently discussing about technology, and how integrated it has become to our daily lives. Reading this post makes me think back to that discussion we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further innovates, the possibility of downloading our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I daydream about every once in a while.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.insanejournal.com/397.html]R4 SDHC[/url] DS BB)